EU helps VN to achieve power access goal in rural areas
12:38 | 07/05/2018

VGP -  The European Union will help Viet Nam to ensure electricity access in rural, mountainous and island areas via the € 108 million Energy Sector Policy Support Programme using its non-refundable aid.

Minister of Industry and Trade Tran Tuan Anh said that 99% of Viet Nam’s population has been connected to the national grid. The Vietnamese Government aims to provide the remaining 1 percent of the population with access to electricity by 2020. 

The €108 million programme aims to enhance sustainable access to energy in Vietnamese rural, mountainous and island areas, while building a more sustainable energy sector via encouraging the efficient use of energy and the consumption of clean and renewable energy.

Minister Anh affirmed that Viet Nam is shifting to not only clean energy but also a green economy. However, greater efforts should be made in the process, he stressed. 

The minister also urged the EU to assist Viet Nam in effectively carrying out projects on high-capacity equipment market, energy services, effective energy saving, smart grids and smart cities. 

EU Delegation representatives said both sides need to further discuss issues such as legal framework, finance, action plans and high-quality workforce training to carry out joint plans. 

The Vietnamese government commits to cutting 8% of greenhouse gas emission by 2030. The fall may surge to 25% if the country receives more support from international organisations in this regard, according to the Ministry of Industry and Trade.

 By Hoang Ha

  Reader opinion
 
Turn off Vietnamese typing Automatic typing Telex VNI VIQR  
Fullname Email address  
  Title
 
  Content