COVID-19 fight: "Everything remains under control," health official says
13:39 | 07/03/2020
VGP – Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long has emphasized that everything remain under control after a 26-year-old woman was tested positive Friday.

Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam presides over a meeting with health professionals to analyze information related to the 17th COVID-19 patient in Ha Noi on March 7, 2020. Photo: VGP

Long made the statement at a meeting between Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam, head of the Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control in Ha Noi on March 7.

He also said that people should not panic or worry and that they should seriously follow recommendations of the World Health Organization and competent agencies in concerted efforts to prevent the epidemic.

At the meeting, health professionals analyzed and evaluated information related to the 17th patient, including her residential area, travel record, possible people having in contact with her and and possible infection risks in order to conduct epidemiological investigations and make a list of suspected cases subject to quarantine as regulated.

As this is the first positive in urban area, Ha Noi authorities have localized while suspected cases have been isolated while the patient’s residence has been closely controlled to prevent spread of the epidemic.

Last night, the Ministry of Health confirmed the 17th novel coronavirus (COVID1-19) infection case in Viet Nam and the first infection in Ha Noi.

The 26-year old patient left Ha Noi for London on February 15 to visit her sister sister. The pair then flew to Milan, Italy and returned to the UK on February 20.

On February 25, she took a flight to Paris, France for one-day tour.

On February 29, she began to cough but did not go for medical checks.

On March 1, she reportedly felt body pain and fatigue, but it was unclear if she had a fever. The same day, she took flight VN0054 of the Viet Nam Airlines to return to Ha Noi on early March 2.

As she landed at the Noi Bai International Airport, she showed no signs of fever and after completing entry procedures, she was allowed to go home on her family's car to Truc Bach Street in Ba Dinh District's Truc Bach Ward.

Since arriving home, she isolated herself, wearing facemask and did not go out. Later on, she developed mild fever and coughed alot and was taken to Hong Ngoc Hospital on March 5.

She was then transferred to the Central Hospital for Tropical Diseases where she was tested positive for the virus. All her family members are also being quarantined at the Hospital with stable health conditions.

Seventeen doctors of the Hong Ngoc Hospital who had been in contact with the patient are also isolated at the hospital and all are in good health.

On March 6, Ha Noi authorities blocked Truc Bach Street and closed shops in the area. People living in the same street have been asked to isolate themselves at home.

The authorities are in process of verifying names of 201 passengers and 16 crew members on the flight VN0054.

After the 16th COVID-19 infection case reported on February 13, Viet Nam went 22 days without any new infection. All the 16 patients have been cleared of the virus and exited from hospitals./.

By Thuy Dung

  Reader opinion
 
Turn off Vietnamese typing Automatic typing Telex VNI VIQR  
Fullname Email address  
  Title
 
  Content